Thursday, July 17, 2014

Teaching NCC SSII M122: Week 03 - CH4 Derivative Applications!

Teaching NCC SSII M122:
Week 03 - CH4 Derivative Applications!
This week we focused on applications of the derivative including Optimization, Implicit Differentiation, Related Rates and L'Hopital's Rule. We even checked the Mean Girls Limit using L'Hopital!

Our youtubes focused on FILKs by the original Math Filker himself, Tom Lehrer! We also viewed "Calculus in 20 Minutes!"

Tom Lehrer's "Lobachevsky!"

Harvard Calc1 Chap4 Day1:

Tom Lehrer's "New Math!"

Harvard Calc1 Chap4 Day2:

Tom Lehrer's "The Elements!"

Harvard Calc1 Chap4 Day3:

Calculus in 20 Minutes???

Was Lindsay Lohan's DNE response correct?

Sheldon Cooper's rendition of "The Elements!"

Even Harry Potter covers "The Elements?"

Teaching NCC SSII M122:
Week 02 - CH3 Derivative Rules!
We had fun this week playing with the Product Rule, the Quotient Rule and the Chain Rule. Below you will find our ScreenCasts for Monday-Wednesday and associated FILKS. Today, Thursday was our 2nd test of Summer Session II (6/30-7/31)!

We went back to the difference quotient to find the derivatives of e^x, sin(x), cos(x) and tan(x). We used the chain rule in combination with the product and quotient rules. We used inverse functions and the chain rule to find the derivative of ln(x), arcsin(x) and arctan(x). We used the chain rule to differentiate implictly and touched on related rates. We even talked about parametrically defined planet orbits finding vector valued functions r(t), v(t) and a(t)!

Product Rule FILK by The Turtles?

Harvard Calc1 Chap3 Day1:

Quotient Rule FILK by The Beatles??

Harvard Calc1 Chap3 Day2:

Chain Rule FILK by Bruno Mars???

Harvard Calc1 Chap3 Day3:

Teaching NCC SSII M122:
Week 01 - CH2 Definition of the Derivative!
We had a great start to Summer Session II in my M122 Harvard Calculus I course this past week! We focused on limits in general and the Difference Quotient in particular. BTW, even though I've transitioned most my classes at the High School to SAGE and SAGECELL, NCC is still requiring the use of the TI-83, aka Ziggie. So, expect to see Ziggie a lot in the following ScreenCasts! Don't forget, the TI-89, aka Hal, is being replaced at the High School with the TI-nSpire, aka Dr. Neville, next year.

I started each day with a YouTube Calculus Filk related to the topic at hand. If you don't know what I mean by Calculus Filks, take a look here! What follows is a Filk and a ScreenCast for each of the first 3 days of class this week. The 4th day was a test on CH2. Most days start with a Filk and HWK RV followed by the new topic and HWK preview.

'I Will Derive'

Harvard Calc1 Chap2 Day1:

'Differentiabul' by Calculus The Musical

Harvard Calc1 Chap2 Day2:

'L'Hopital's Rule'

Harvard Calc1 Chap2 Day3:

Teaching NCC SSII M122:
Day 01 - Setting Up Shop!


OK, I'm teaching M122 Harvard Calculus I this Summer Session II and I got the huge multimedia room with balcony seating and 50" HD TVs! So, I brought in my DRIOD Tablet and connected it to the multimedia center PC over WiFi with SplashTop. Now I can drive the whole multimedia experience wirelessly from my tablet. I suppose this is a continuation of last Summer's post about M111! All I need to do is add a stylus, a pen app such as Xournal and a Graphing Calculator emulator like Virtual TI!

What follows is a picture gallery of the new room. Of course, this is different from my regular room at the High School pictured above in my banner.

This is my tablet mirroring my PC Desktop using the SplashTop app.

Here's the multimedia center PC Desktop running Splashtop, Xournal (pen app) and VTI (emulator). Note the control panel to the right that turns on the PC Projector, HD TVs and sound.

Here's my view from the bottom, front of the room to the balcony seats. I have over 70 seats all together!

Here's the view from my PC.

This is the view of the main 8' PC Projector Screen from the front row.

This is a view as you enter from the right-hand front door. These doors have a magnetic key lock system. If I lock or unlock one door, all 4 doors follow suit!

This view is from the right-hand rear door.

Here's a view from the balcony!

This view is from the left-hand rear door.

Last, but not least, here's a close-up of one of the 50" HD TVs!


Teaching NCC SSII M122:
Day 00 - Adjunct Summer Meeting!

The last Wednesday in June is judgement day. This is when I find out if I have a class to teach this Summer. I'm trying for Calculus I or II in B115 a PC Lab or B218 a Multimedia room during Summer Session II. So, to calm my nerves, I took a walk around the campus!

I parked in the East Lot behind Cluster D.

This is Cluster C from the same lot.

You can see Nassau Colosseum from here!


Then I walked around D Cluster.

Then I came across the new Life Sciences building.

Next there's the lot by the water fountain.


Hang a left and you're behind D Cluster.

Here's my fave fountain with D behind it!

Here'e the fountain with ramp to C!

So, I went up the ramp and through the halls all the way to Cluster A and find another fountain that is being fixed up:


Here's the area near the that fountain next to A Cluster.


All this is right next to The Tower aka Building T and the Plaza which is next to the West Lots! Behind The Tower is CCB.


Here's another view of the Tower. Registrar is now in Cluster C Floor 1 but it used to be under the Plaza on the Lower Level of The Tower. Now the Lower Level is just a tunnel to CCB.



Hang a right and your up to the library. Cluster F is on the left.

Cluster F has a lot of Bio Labs. It also has several Lecture Halls but they are so 20th Century!

Behind Cluster F is The Old Campus with several Office Buildings.

Said Office Buildings used to be full of classrooms and surround The Old Quad.

You can even see what's left of Mitchel Field whence Charles Lindbergh made the first trans-atlantic flight to Paris!

Hang another right and you go down the ramp to Cluster A again.


Cluster A Floor 1:

Cluster A Floor 2:


Cluster A Floor 3 (view from window):


Cluster B Floor 1:


Cluster B Floor 2:


Cluster B Floor 3 (Math Mail Room):



Cluster B Floor 3 (Math Adjunct Office):

Cluster B Floor 3 (my room 318/218):

Cluster C Floor 1:



Cluster C Floor 1 (Registration moved from The Tower):

Cluster C Floor 2:



Cluster C Floor 2:

Cluster C Floor 2:

Cluster C Floor 2:



Cluster C Floor 2:

Cluster C Floor 2:

Cluster C Floor 2 (corridor to D Cluster):

Cluster C Floor 3 (Planetarium):

Cluster C Floor 3:

Cluster C Floor 3:

Cluster C Floor 3:

Cluster C Floor 3 (Observatory):

Here's the corridor from D back to C.

Here Cluster D Floor 1:

Here Cluster D Floor 2:

Here Cluster D Floor 3 (view from window):


Then I went out by the fountain again with Clusters E&F in the background. Behind E&F is the old campus complete with quad. The Book Store is east of here.

Between the bus stop and the fountain there's a labarinth?

Next was Life Sciences again.

More Life Sciences and then the drive back home!

Well, that's all folks!

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment