Saturday, October 3, 2009

Wow, YouTube as a learning tool?

Who would have thunk it!  I have discovered a great web client for recording my desktop as I teach.  I record my desktop with Smart Recorder in my Mathematics classes, but Smart Recorder doesn't work in Linux and it only creates *.wmv files.  So, I tried 
http://screencast-o-matic.com
which works in Mozilla as long as you have the java 1.5 jre installed.  This is a free service but I think its an ad for Camtasia software.  What's nice about client is that it exports to *.mp4 format or quicktime.  This video format is great for my students that use Linux or Mac at home as watching *.wmv files is difficult for them.  Also, if you limit your recording to 10 minutes, you can post these *.mp4 files on youtube as I have:
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009


That's my video channel on youtube, its like my very own private TV station, and I just posted the first 10 minutes of two of my AP Computer Science classes from this week!  Let me know what you think!



Teaching with Technology,
calcpage@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment